Guitar Collector Forum

The meeting place for guitar collectors
It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share      

Post subject: Seagull 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Models a good buy?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:41 pm 

I Love my Seagull C6 Cedar Original guitar, I've had it to a few years now, and always thought it would be nice to have a Seagull 12 string to go with it!

However, just idly browing the Seagull site I see they're doing "Seagull 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Models" - do folks here think they're a good buy from an investment point of view (i.e. will it be a rare enough guitar to increase it's value over, say 10 years?). Not that any guitar is really an investment... but it helps to convince the wife!

this is the blurb from their website:
To commemorate 25 years of Canadian acoustic guitar craftsmanship, Seagull is proud to introduce two Limited Edition 25th Anniversary acoustic guitars…the Seagull Anniversary CW Flame Maple EQ and Mahogany Spruce. Both models feature Seagull’s innovative Select Pressure Tested solid spruce tops, measured and tested to ensure optimal stiffness and rigidity for maximum harmonic vibration. Other similar characteristics include a high-gloss custom polished finish, Adirondack spruce bracing, double binding, intricate wood rosette, deluxe gold tuning machines with cream buttons, a special commemorative certificate and 25th Anniversary headstock logo.

Attachments:
seagul_guitar_2.jpg
seagul_guitar_2.jpg [ 27.16 KiB | Viewed 3571 times ]
seagull_guitars.jpg
seagull_guitars.jpg [ 90.03 KiB | Viewed 3573 times ]

Post subject: Re: Seagull 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Models a good buy?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:26 pm 

"Limited Edition" can be misleading... unless you know how many they're making then it's difficult to say if it will be rare in the future. Numbered limited editions are usually something pretty special (e.g. limited to 250 ... or even better, 10!), but "anniversary" guitars can sometimes be made in their thousands... particularly the big boys - Fender or Gibson doing anniversaries means a whole year's production.

Having said all that, I do like the look of your Seagul... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:19 pm 

The Seagull 25th Anniversary edition is only limited by its build year, not limited to a set number of guitars. But is is a beautiful guitar - Seagull guitars are very popular and the fancy headstock logo and gold hardware will certainly make it a desirable collectors guitar in years to come... maybe not in competition with Martin or Taylor, but Seagulls are recognized as quality.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:18 am 

Brett wrote:
I Love my Seagull C6 Cedar Original guitar, I've had it to a few years now, and always thought it would be nice to have a Seagull 12 string to go with it!

However, just idly browing the Seagull site I see they're doing "Seagull 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Models" - do folks here think they're a good buy from an investment point of view (i.e. will it be a rare enough guitar to increase it's value over, say 10 years?). Not that any guitar is really an investment... but it helps to convince the wife!

Hi Brett, just interested to know whether you went ahead and bought the limited edition Seagull, or was it just a passing fancy? There seems to be a lot of interest in the 25th Anniversary edition - has anyone else here seen one, played one or bought one? I'd love to hear some first-hand reviews.

97 Fender Strat Plus; 81 Aria Pro II CS-350; 70s Gherson Les Paul; 09 Hofner Verythin; 02 Takamine EG540SC ;03 Johnson Travel; 60s Minorca Classical; Indian Sitar; 70s Ovation Deacon; 76 Shergold Meteor Deluxe; Godin Multiac Nylon SA