Guitar Collector Forum

The meeting place for guitar collectors
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC

Bookmark and Share      

Post subject: Strings & Things Custom number 00390
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:46 pm 

I have a Mayan Gold Strings & Things Custom number 00390. I've done a cursory search of the internet but have found very little about these guitars: their history, their value, who played this specific one. So, I am appealing to you guys to see if anyone here has specialized knowledge or can put me in touch with someone who does.

Post subject: Re: Strings & Things Custom number 00390
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:13 am 

G'day mate, welcome to the forumImage
The Mayan sig guitar was made for Dan Donegan by Washburn guitars.
There's a bit of stuff here
http://www.washburn.com/instruments/electrics/
And something about Dan here
http://www.washburn.com/artists/signature-artists/dan-donegan-bio.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:19 am 

That doesn't look to be it at all. As far as I know, the guitar was made in the late 70's/early 80's.

Here's a picture with the guitar.

Attachments:
Picture 026.jpg
Picture 026.jpg [ 44.82 KiB | Viewed 5638 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:21 am 

Also, Mayan Gold is the color. Or at least the closest I could find to match the color.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:21 am 

Hi NL, welcome to the forum.

Strings & Things are a large music store in Memphis, and made a variety of high quality guitars in the 70s & 80s, mainly custom Les Pauls. It seems that one of their guys had connections with the Gibson Kalimazoo factory and they would get body & neck blanks from their and finish them themselves. It seems that Strings & Things guitars were used by the likes of Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Albert King!! :o 8-)

It's difficult to see your guitar from the picture, but if you can post some photos of just the guitar, including close-ups of head, neck, pickups, knobs etc we may be able to identify it better.

Have you tried emailing Chris Lovell, owner of Strings and Things in Memphis?

That's probably the best bet. If you do, be sure to let us know what you find out!

Contact details...
Chris Lovell
clovelli4i@gmail.com
Phone: 901.278.0500
Fax: 901.725.0051
Store Hours: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Monday - Saturday

97 Fender Strat Plus; 81 Aria Pro II CS-350; 70s Gherson Les Paul; 09 Hofner Verythin; 02 Takamine EG540SC ;03 Johnson Travel; 60s Minorca Classical; Indian Sitar; 70s Ovation Deacon; 76 Shergold Meteor Deluxe; Godin Multiac Nylon SA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:38 am 

Although the Strings and Things store still exists in Memphis, I don't think they've sold their own custom guitars for at least 20 years.

In the 70s the user to make up great quality guitars to guitarists' own specifications... putting together bodies, necks and pickups and doing custom paint jobs. In, I think, the very early 80s they re-branded as St. Blues (or Saint Blues). They made custom guitars under the St Blues brand for a few more years but I think Strings and Thinks then shut down (bankrupt?) or changed hands. I think the current Strings and Things store has been going since the 90s, but not sure if it's the same ownership as the original.

None of this helps to identify your specific guitar, exept to confirm that it's more likely to be 70's than 80's if it's branded "Strings and Things Custom" and not "St. Blues".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:47 am 

I Just checked out the (new) St Blues website... they obviously started up a couple of years ago, although their guitars are now made in Korea seem to be a pale immitation of their former selves. :cry: ... but they do say Today every St. Blues guitar is finished and set up right here in Memphis...

But it's interesting that they confirm what we already thought...
Quote:
St. Blues Guitars was born in the heart of the Delta, where country tangled withe the blues and spawned the true birthplace of Rock & Roll, Memphis.

On the street now called Elvis Presley Boulevard, across the way from Graceland, Mike Ladd and Tom Keckler were doing something magical with guitars at Mike Ladd's Guitar City.

Seems whenever these boys laid hands on someone's guitar (such as Jimmy Page's), the guitar just played a whole lot better. Hell, they even built one for the King. You can see him play it in "Aloha from Hawaii".

In 1978, Keckler joined Tom Anderson and David Schecter out in California to turn Schecter Guitar Research from a parts supplier to a guitar company.

But anyone who's ever lived in Memphis knows you can't stay away long and in 1983 he came home and formed St. Blues Guitars with the founders of Strings and Things.

His first creation was the "Bluesmaster". Sometimes you hit it just right. He came up with a unique guitar that stands up to any classic guitar ever designed and it's still being produced and played today. People who know a great guitar were quick to notice, and soon you would find a Bluesmaster in the hands of Eric Clapton, Bono, Albert King, Elliot Easton, Marshall Crenshaw, Glenn Frey, Billy Gibbons.... We could go on (we really could) but this isn't a book.

In 1989, St. Blues took a break, but like Memphis itself, you just gotta come back to a good thing. Players and dealers alike wouldn't let it go, so in 2006 St. Blues was reborn with Keckler back at the wheel. Today every St. Blues guitar is finished and set up right here in Memphis and will always have its roots in this hallowed ground.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:38 pm 

Thanks guys. I'll post pictures as soon as I get a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:57 pm 

Here are some pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:47 am 

I was just in Memphis and knew nothing of Strings & Things or St. Blues till I saw a bunch of Strings & Things memorabilia at the Rock n Soul Museum. Then after touring Sun Studio I noticed St. Blues Guitar across the street. I had seen something that made me think this was the successor of Strings & Things so I went in just to see if I could learn more.

I'm not a guitarist and I don't know much about guitars, but I talked to the manager for a while. Their current models are made in Korea, but they are moving some production the their shop in Memphis. I saw the workspace where it will be set up while I was there. They had most of their stock out at a show in Detroit so I only saw a few. I picked up a tshirt that had the quote from Hunter S. Thompson about there being dregs in the music industry... and then there are some negative aspects (paraphrased) From what I saw, the older models indeed had the type of "strings & things" plaquard like I see on the pics of this one.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to visit Memphis, DO IT!! If you love music (of course you do) you'll get chills as you get the Sun Studio tour. They have the cut master of Rocket 88 there by Jackie Brensten. This is widely considered to be the first Rock n Roll record ever recorded. Lots lots more. Between that and the Rock n Soul museum, all the great food and nights on Beale Street which is wall to wall blues clubs including a B.B. Kings, the trip was fantastic.

Imagine my surprise when we were trying to figure out where to go one night and found out Monte Montgomery was scheduled to play locally... and then my huge let down when I found out he cancelled. Oh well, it was still a great trip.